Monday, January 16, 2012

Nature Bike Ride

I've been itching to get out and take some nature shots,
so once it warmed up to 40 degrees today we set out on our bikes...

We were in search of some gorgeous wood ducks,
but they were off somewhere else, naturally!

Found some cinnamon teal... Which we don't see much of around here!

Beautiful mallard hen and drake

Crazy way to get a meal :-)

A great white heron 

A cattle egret who had an 'admirer'...

The egret was frightened off by the cat, who was then frightened off by the egrets pals!! 


The little otters were my bonus today!
Saw them swimming around and I was able to catch them playing on the bank near their den...

And finally, my railroad track shot ~  There is just something about them so intriguing to me!


I wish you all a great week -
We are preparing for my Son to visit from Washington this weekend,
which works out perfectly with my Nephew & his wife arriving from Idaho.  
They will be here to meet the newest family member, my other nephew's new son. 
It will be nice to see the cousins all together
and enjoy having the second cousins play too!



7 comments:

Mimi said...

Lovely photos, looks like a really nice cycle trip.
Hope the family reunion is enjoyed by all! Sounds like you'll be busy.

Jenn said...

Lovely shots! It seemed funny to see a cat in the pictures because it looks like y'all are out in the middle of nowhere. I love the otters!! They are my favorite at the zoo. Such fun creatures.

Anonymous said...

How fun! Water creatures are so fun to watch and shoot. And usually slow, so you can catch them still. Have a great weekend with your visiting family members.

kailani said...

Wow! 40 degrees is warm? You'd find me shivering under the blankets! LOL! Great photos, though! Looks like an awesome place for a bike ride.

Kim said...

What a great nature walk/bike ride....
I love the otters too!

Vicki said...

These are great!!

Angie Vik said...

Great pictures. I especially like the train track shot. Otters are one of my favorite animals. I love their playful spirit.