Thursday, December 31, 2009
Grammy Girlfriend , I think I have the perfect one!
Let's end the year with a random post and a RANDOM DOZEN.... Should be fun; leave a comment and let me know if you post, I love reading others' answers.
1. Do you find it gross to share drinks with family? Friends? I'll share drinks with my husband, but will not with others! YUCK-O!! A slight germ-a-phob, I am!!!
2. What have you learned this year? (Didn't see a question of that weight coming, did you? At least not for #2.) I've learned alot about myself; my inner strength and I have a better understanding of my purpose on earth.
3. When do you dismantle the Christmas decorations? I take the decorations quickly. I do not like to see the tree sitting without packages beneath it.
4. Something you wish to accomplish before the end of 2009 is: I am hoping to complete our list of goals for 2010!
5. How do you feel about winter (after Christmas)? I enjoy the winter! I am hoping that the weather continues and we increase our winter snow pack to alleviate the possibility of the threat of drought!!
6. Have you participated in after-Christmas sales? I do not! Cannot stand the crowds!!
7. Do you have plans for New Year's Eve? We will ring in the New Year while sitting in the spa; kind of a tradition.... I am making cioppino, another NYE tradition!!!
8. Is there anything special awaiting you in January? I am hoping that the Doc will release me to return to work.
9. If your life this year was a movie, what category or genre would it be? (Romance, Comedy, Drama, Thriller, Suspense, Farcical, etc.) A grand mix of all!!
10. How much time per day do you spend blogging? Please be honest!! As much as I can, but fear returning to work and not being able to spend the time that I wish I could HA! I have met some very amazing friends here...
11. Who runs your household? It is most definatley a joint effort! My Fireguy and I have a really wonderful relationship that has seen us through 31 years. Everyday it just gets better!!
12. Share one hope/dream for 2010! I hope to improve my overall health and run a 10k!
I wish you all a very Happy New Year...
Monday, December 28, 2009
Friday, December 25, 2009
Tuesday, December 22, 2009
Last week The Fireguy lost a fellow firefighter brother due to a line of duty death, marking the first such loss in the department history. As we all know, there is no good time to loose a loved one, but this time of year seems to make it especially difficult. This young firefighter leaves behind a wife and two young sons, also missing his Christmas Day birthday by days. The service was beyond words; a full ceremonial event. To see hundreds of uniformed personnel was amazing and the church overflowing with mourners was so humbling. There was no less than 35-40 various fire apparatus parked in front of and leading to the church. The bagpipers and honor guard performed their duties flawlessly. I wanted to take my camera to record this event, but then again I didn't want to be 'that person' at a funeral service. I took the photo below from the car and apologize for the poor quality but to see the American flag draped from two ladder trucks filled me with such emotion.
Following the service my Fireguy and I returned home and discussed the afternoon. It was the first service that we had attended that we were not together. All uniformed personnel were seated together; the spouses/significant others were seated elsewhere. It is one thing to observe the brotherhood of the firefighters, but I realized today also the 'sisterhood' that we wives/siginificant others make up. We take on a 'burden' if you will of carrying on with life at home while our firefighters put their lives on the line. Okay, sorry... back on track! This section is not about me, but about the realization of our public servants risking their own lives selfishly to protect and serve our communities. Take a moment if you will to pray for the family of this firefighter; pray for strength and comfort. The family has a very strong faith in God and I feel this will help them so much during this painful time in their lives.
Saturday, December 19, 2009
I DVR'd our local PBS airing of "Great Performances" as it featured Andrea Bocelli, who I simply adore.. The entire performance was amazing, but since hearing this particular song sung by Andrea & Mary J. Blige on Oprah I have been infatuated with it!! I have played it so much I can tell you how many breaths they each take (no joke!!) It is such a beautiful rendition and who would have EVER thought these two could do any justice as a duet???
With the baking I have been doing recently, I have grown to LOVE my KitchenAid mixer so much more. I have to wonder what I was ever thinking when mixing cookie dough and kneading bread dough by hand!!!
Lastly, since I did not post a Thanksgiving Day blog I wanted to say that I am thankful for and they are my favorite things; My family!!
Thursday, December 17, 2009
The brave fry cooks!!
Dad & Son giving the water heater a winter coat
Tommy & Linds and their first Christmas tree
Sunday, December 6, 2009
Sit back and enjoy my quick wrap-up ~
My Mom was one of the most creative people that I knew! I have long felt that my Sister and my Daughter had carried on her creativity, until recently... I have begun to try my hand at different projects and continue to 'create' in the kitchen.
This weekend I made a Christmas decoration for each of my kids. I had found the bare trees at World Market and thought that perhaps I could make them a little more special. I used some toile and a couple of Christmas themed picks that had belonged to my Mom. I think they turned out pretty well!
My Daughter & I - We clean up pretty well, huh?
Each guest brought a yummy dish to share
We have a 'gift exchange' with lots of STEALING...
Sunday morning I drove to downtown Sacramento to watch my son-in-law complete his first marathon. Chris met his goal time of under 4 hours (3:57:37) My daughter ran also (3:56:43); her 5th!! It was a very cold morning and I applaud them for being out there, running and FINISHING!!!
Here they are after finishing 26.2 miles!!!!!
Yeppa, it was a busy weekend!! Now, to prepare for a road trip up North to visit our Son in Washington!! The Fireguy works Sunday & Monday so I am responsible for getting everything ready. Hope I can get it all done!
Saturday, December 5, 2009
Tomorrow I'll be heading to downtown Sacramento to watch my daughter & son-in-law participate in the California International Marathon (CIM).
You can always paint toenails on!!!
Check back for results!!!!
Thursday, December 3, 2009
Prior to my surgery, I would have to say that Will & Grace would be my answer. I recall when the show was on the air I did not watch it much. Now, however I find it so fun! The bond between Will & Grace just seems so endearing to me; no expectations, complete honesty and pure friendship.
Now however, my answer would have to be The Price is Right! I used to watch that when I was at home with my daughter as a baby. I can't really give an explanation for the draw, but the show makes me feel happy. I know several people that associate the show with old people, becasue that is usually who watches it (which I have to admit may be true as evidenced by the commercials shown during the time slot!)...
What about you... Guilty Pleasure TV show??????
Wednesday, December 2, 2009
My surgery went well, with the surgeon finding the probable cause for my discomfort and felt positive that my future results would be good. As seen in a previous post, I had a 'cradle cast' with lots of padding and gauze. Three ace bandages completed my trophy... I was also given a sling, which I found most helpful in carting that heavy thing around! I wore it sparingly around the house (mostly because I sat around alot!) but if I did go out I was sure to wear it! I have taken no pain meds and felt it was just more inconvenient than anything!!
Yesterday the doctor removed the cast and clipped a couple of stitch tails. I have not seen this type of wound closure; rather than the stitches being tied in knots on top of the skin they are dermal! No stitches to be seen...
The purple color is what is left of the doctor's markings!! Sure hope this all washes off... HA!!
I am out of work for 6 weeks!! No workie until at least Jan 18th!!! Yikes!!! I have a bit of self therapy to perform as my elbow is still able to fully extend and my wrist does like much movement right now either. I am limited to short periods of 'repetitive motion', meaning I can't live on my laptop!!! Dang... Guess I'll finish up some of those books ~
Monday, November 30, 2009
Since I am down to one arm, my wonderful husband and his Mom took care of the cooking on Thanksgiving. It was a nice meal and although odd for me to sit back and watch all the activities, I am grateful that I have a supportive family who stepped up and took over!
The rest of the weekend was spent with various activities: